Using EndNote to organize your information sources
Use the File Attachment, URL or Figure and Find Full Text under the References menu to organise your information.
These notes will be particularly useful for thesis students
Attaching Files, URLs and Figures to your Individual EndNote record
- Allows you to attach (PDFs) that you may have saved elsewhere on your computer , pictures (images), and URLS stored elsewhere on your computer.These links can refer to any location on your computer and are a useful way of keeping track of online articles you have saved.
- Highlight the reference in EndNote that you want to link the fulltext. Click References - File Attachments - Attach File.
Getting EndNote to search and download full text into an individual EndNote Record
- This will work for some of your documents, but don't expect to find every document you would like to attach in full text
- You can now highlight individual entries and search for full text: go to the Menu and click on References > Find Full Text.... If access to full text is found the item is downloaded automatically in the background and a link to a PDF automatically inserted.
- EndNote checks several sources to do this, including:DOI (Digital Object Identifier), PubMed LinkOut, and ISI Web of Knowledge Links.
You can also record 16 pages of text into the Notes, Research and Abstract Fields of an individual EndNote record
- Use the Notes field for personal reminders such as why the record is useful
- Always select the Abstract field to download when automatically exporting references. The extra words in the abstract can be used to identify records when you use the EndNote search facility. It's easy to lose track of records when your EndNote library becomes large.